Sunday, March 22, 2020

"Aranyak", a novel haunted me in many ways



Aranyak, a novel by Bhibhuti bhushan Bandopadyay was completed by me a few days back. in fact,first I got finished reading its Telugu translation.And it translated by Surampudi Seetaram,almost some decades back.Soon after which I had an interest to go for English version.Amazon helped me by sending it on time. English translation rendered by Suchismita Banergee Rai. You would ask me what made me read all these two translations on a spur, sure there is a strong reason behind it,the novel ,though it was penned between 1937-39,triggered my inner senses in many ways.Literally it haunted day in and day out,wherever I go.

The ranges of Mahalikha mountains,dense forests of Purnia and Lobotia,the protagonist Satya charan's entry into that places on a livelihood made an indelible impression on my mind. Not only that, the human drama happened there with local Gangota tribals and other people like Nandalal Ojha,Dhaturia,Raju Pandey,Kunta and some other families can strike us with its own kind of inside stories.If you wish to have known the social,economic and geographical conditions of British ruling days,it's the beautiful source for it.One would know the local conditions packed with myriad colors that you can't imagine beforehand.

The first and foremost hero of the novel was the forest.And nature.It's true.How a place of flora and fauna got turned into that was worth unraveling. One must read this to know the secret, else, you wouldn't know it forever.That's how I fall in love with this extraordinary novel. In my opinion,this is undoubtedly one of the most brilliant .novel ever created in our country. Without having read it, any educated Indian could be a handicap in one or many respects.Prose style and plot evolving by Bhibuthi Bhushan was  extraordinary and each page takes us with such a gripping narration. Sure,after once you finished with it,your heart remains calm with many inexplicable emotions.
--Murthy Kvvs


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your visit and comment.